Wednesday, July 11, 2012

"If I Could Just Touch the Hem of His Garment"


This song was written by Rev. Glen A. Rice in the early 1950's.  He and his wife first sung it in a tent meeting in Pascagoula, Mississippi in 1954.  Rev. Roy Smith from Kellyville, Oklahoma and Sis Florence Smith conducted this meeting.  They traveled all over the south, holding this meetings and were close personal friends to Bro and Sis Rice.

Thanks to a guest comment below, I learned that a group named Sego Brothers and Naomi recorded and sung this song back in the 1960's.    This group was formed in 1958 and they were from Macon, GA.  They appeared on local TV where they became locally popular.  By 1964 they became known nationally and are believed to be the first southern gospel group to sell over a million records from their hit, "Sorry, I Never Knew You,"

 In the early 1980’s the Spencer Family was looking to record it and contacted Rev. Rice.  They gave him the copyright, recorded it on their 1984 album called “Moving Out.” They also had the song printed in one of their songbooks.  The copy in the songbook is a tiny bit different than the original.  Rev. Glen and his wife Ruby (also a minister) sung this song as a duet almost everywhere they went to preach. It has been sung at many camp meetings, brush arbor meetings, revivals, and churches as far reaching as imaginable.  I am 39 and can remember hearing this song as a child myself, but I never knew who wrote it or it’s story which I believe to be just as important.



According to an article written in the Holinessministries, “A Tribute to Bro. Glen Rice” written by Bro. Aaron Brock, “Bro. Rice wrote at least 24 songs in his lifetime.”

Rev. Glen Rice was born on April 16, 1908, he was a pentecostal holiness preacher originally  from the Bristow, Ok area.  He married Ruby in April 16, 1936 and in this same year founded the Holiness Church in Stroud, OK.   Also, pastoring 10 years in Thayer Mo., but returned to Stroud, OK.   Most of his ministry was spent in Stroud, OK where he pastored until he was 88 years old.  He spent the last two years of his life in the nursing home that he and his wife had conducted services in three times a week for years and years.  Rev. Glen Rice passed from this life on November 9, 2004, but he has left everyone a little sermon wrapped up in this favorite song that is still being heard in churches as far reached as any new poplar song to come.

Special thanks to Jean Slease who has helped me gather correct information about Rev. Glen Rice.
 


Words to the Original Version sung by Bro and Sis Rice.

A woman one day tried many physcians
But rather grew worse in the Bible we're told
One day when she had heard, she came to Jesus
And found what she needed for body and soul


Chorus:
If I could just touch the hem of His garment
If I could just touch some part of His clothes
I know I'd be healed, my sins are forgiven
If I could just touch Him, I know I'd be whole


Blind Bartimus sat by the wayside begging
Nobody to help him down life's weary way
When Jesus came by, He heard His sad crying
He touched his blind eyes and healed Him that day



Nicodemus came to Jesus by night,
His eyes were blinded to the things that were right.
He could not understand how a man when he's old
Could be born of God's Spirit, have life for his soul.


Spencer Family titled it Hem of His Garment in 80's and sung it a little different and added this verse.


One day I sat by the wayside begging
Nobody to help me down life's weary way
Then Jesus came by and He heard my sad crying
He reached down His hand and He saved me that day


The Sego Brothers and Naomi singing "Hem of His Garment" 1960's
 
The Spencers singing "Hem of His Garment"
featuring their mother Barbara Spencer
This song is also known as
"If I Could Just Touch the Hem of His Garment"
 
 
Other Songs by Rev. Rice:
 
We're Almost There
 
 
 
 
 

 





24 comments:

  1. Sylvia, thank you for posting the blog and tribute to Glen and Ruby Rice. They were very special people and like grandparents to me. I remember them singing this song many times during the time I knew them (30+ years). It always had such a wonderful impact everywhere they sang the song.

    Though they never had any children of their own, their church family was their children and grandchildren. My mom and I were more than their church family. We were not only neighbors but like their real-life daughter and granddaughter. My mother, Claudia Rice, helped take care of both of them in their last years of life. She would take Ruby to the nursing home every day and go pick her up when she was ready to come home. After Ruby decided to stay with Glen in the nursing home, mom and her husband Floyd (Glen's nephew) would go check on them almost every day and take care of their affairs. She was with them both to the very end. Glen passed away in November 2004 and Ruby passed in February 2007.

    I know Glen would be proud that his song is still being sung today but he would never boast about it. All he would say is the Song was given by God and all the glory goes to him. He was a very humble person and blessed with a long life of 96 years.

    Thank you again for such a sweet tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my pleasure and the least I could do for such a blessed song and songwriter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother has sung this song for as long as I can remember. The annointing was so strong thru these words...she has Alzheimer's today at 82, but can still song this song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Power of this song and oh what precious memories you have shared, thanks. Keeping you and your mother in my prayers.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad to see this. i just came across a poem that Bro. Glen Rice wrote entitled "a tribute to my wife, Ruby Rice". he wrote it in April 1995 in Stroud, Oklahoma. Bro. glen signed it and gave it to me at the Bristow campmeeting I believe that same year. i still have the original in my possession. Bro. Glen rice was a treasure and a joy to speak with. Now, my wife and i sing his song as specials in churches and camp meetings as the LORD leads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont remember if I ever sent a message to see if you wanted to share his poem. I know I would love to read it.

      Delete
    2. I just saw your comment. I will try to find it and share it

      Delete
  5. Can anyone tell me where i can get the music for this song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check with Bro Mitchell Stephens(Conservative Gospel Supplies) in Anderson SC Message me if you would like his phone number

      Delete
    2. I would like his phone number

      Delete
    3. private message me on facebook

      Delete
  6. Im trying to find the words & lyrics to if i could just touch the hem of His garment by rev glen rice. Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im trying to find the words & music to if i could just touch the hem of His garment by rev glen rice. Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. They were amazing people. I'm so blessed to say I had such an amazing uncle and aunt. I loved when they would come have Sunday dinner at my grandparents house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there is anything you would like to add about them please feel free. Thank you for your post. This is one of mine favorite songs to sing.

      Delete
    2. I always like seeing them at Bristow campmeeting. That's where i got to visit with him.

      Delete
  9. Hello, my name is Mariah Houtcooper, daughter of Rhonda Houtcooper and She is currently pursuing her dream of creating her very own CD. I was curious as to any way I could obtain the copyright for this song before she masters her CD so she doesn’t have to take it off? If anyone could get back to me that would be great. I would be ever so greatful to hear back from you! Gods blessings to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guest
    If I could just touch , the hem of his garment
    Post by Guest » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:16 pm

    The man who wrote [IF I COULD JUST TOUCH THE HEM OF HIS GARMENT] was Glen Rice. He was my pastor for a number of years and very dear friend. His wife name is Ruby. Both are deceased.They were in there late 70's when the spencers were singing it at a concert and stated they diden't know who the author was.There was a man at the concert who knew the Rice's.The spencer's contacted Bro Rice for the copy right and after that the spencer's began to send royalty payments for albums that were sold.Glen and Ruby Rice were pastors at welcome tabernacle holiness church in Stroud Ok. I hope thus is of some help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bro and SIs Rice are both deceased and have been for a number of years now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always loved this song, but I'm going to have to beg to differ with you about the "early 1980s" recording by the Spencers. It was recorded by the Sego Brothers and Naomi, long before the 80s. I was born in the 50s and grew up listening to this song on an old album. I'm proud to add that my mother was a Sego, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing about the Sego Brothers and Naomi. It's not a matter of beg to differ because it is a fact the Spencer's also recorded this song. I am pleased to add this information to share as I had never heard or came across anyone else singing or recording it until I seen your post. God Bless and again thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  13. I grew up with this song and as the video shows the Sego Brothers and Naomi singing the words are "Touch a part of robe" You have it written as "part of his clothes" Just wanted to point out the wrong wording Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "touch a part of His robe." Sorry for the typo

    ReplyDelete