Sunday, October 16, 2016

When God Unfolds the Rose

This song was written by Frank O'Brien after hearing a sermon titled "Just Let It Unfold" by Rev Vaughn Morton while at the Pentecostals of Alexandria Church in Louisiana. The copyright is dated 2003. This sermon link is listed below that you may hear it for yourself.  Rev. Morton states in his sermon that he read this story in a booklet that went like this: 

A little girl eager and curious picked several rose buds from her mother's garden and tore them open to make them bloom, but her eagerness turned to disappointment when the flower failed to respond to her efforts.  Her mother explained that God has a time for the roses to bloom and they would have bloomed perfectly had she left them alone.  He stopped with this part to explain that we should wait on God that in God's time he will add what we have need of.  God will take care of it.  We need to learn to Just Let It Unfold.  The essence of his sermon was that problems are a part of our daily life.  It's just life this life is just a tiny rosebud.  A poem was quoted near the end of Rev. Vaughn Morton's sermon which he said softly, " 
It is only a tiny rosebud, 
This flower of God's design;
But I cannot unfold its petals
With these clumsy hands of mine.

The secret of unfolding flowers
Is not known to such as I.
This flower God opens so sweetly, 
Would in my hands fade and die.

If I cannot unfold a rosebud,
This flower of God's design,
How can I think I have wisdom
To unfold this life of mine?

So I'll trust in Him for his leading
Each moment of every day.
I will look to Him for His guidance
Each step of the pilgrim way.

The pathway that lies before me, 
I'll trust Him to unfold the moments,
Just as He unfolds the rose.


Lyrics:

Verse 1:
There been times when I thought my prayers
Didn’t even reach the ceiling of the room
Where I knelt to pray
And a voice inside kept asking me
Did I think God was really listening
To anything that I had to say
But I just kept on a praying
And holding on by faith
Knowing God is always in control
And I waited like a rose bud in the garden
For only God can unfold the rose

Chorus:
When God unfolds the rose
He always gets it right
When the petals are in place
Oh, it’s such a beautiful sight
God knows when to hold on
And the perfect time to let go
So let God have his way
And watch God unfold the rose

Verse 2:
There are trials and tribulations
We must all go through
When it comes to heartaches
We’ve all had our share
Oh, but when times are the hardest
We need to hold God to the promise
He said He’d never give us more than we could bear
So, I’ll just keep on a praying
And holding on by faith
Knowing God is working all things for my good
And I’ll wait just like that rose bud in the garden
For only God can unfold the rose

God knows when to hold on

And the perfect time to let go
So let God have his way
And watch God unfold the rose




Other songs written by Frank O'Brien:

Nothing Like Being Able to Touch the Lord



Music Chords:
http://www.yourchords.com/347602/Misc-Unsigned-Bands/Frank-Obrien---When-God-Unfolds-A-Rose-Chords/transpose11/
Timothy Spell Soundtrack: http://www.shop.timothyspell.com/When-God-Unfolds-The-Rose-Sound-Tracks-CD-WGUTRST.htm


Sources:
Just Let It Unfold - Bro Vaughn Morton: http://apostolicclassics.sermon.net/main/main/6811325 listen to the sermon that inspired this beautiful song.
August 24, 1964 The Progress-Index from Petersburg, Virginia.Page 6 https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/49149471/
Highest Praise Publishing http://us.search.ccli.com/songs/4230957/when-god-unfolds-the-rose

Any information that could add to this post would be appreciated and even a photo if possible. Thanks and God Bless.


2 comments:

  1. You probably heard the old poem about that my mom would quote to me. Looking for the author of that poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete