Monday, July 27, 2015

Alabaster Box


This song was written by Dr. Janice Lyn Sjostrand, copyright  in 1997.  The story told behind the inspiration for this song was one night while Sis Sjostrand was in a church service at the UPC church in Southern California the preacher was preaching a sermon about the woman who came to Jesus and anointed his feet with oil.  Sis Sjostrand was to sing during the altar service afterwards and when she began playing and singing the words to this song just flowed out of her.

On October 19, 1999 CeCe Winans released her new album Alabaster Box, which featured this amazing song.  It won the 2001 Dove Awards.

Sis Janice and her husband Rev. G. Keith Sjostrand have been married for thirty-seven years.  They currently pastor Christian Apostolic Church in Newark, Ohio.  She is an alumnus of the University of Arkansas.  She has taught as a Spanish and English high school teacher and is a licensed administrator with the State of Ohio. 

She is a very talented musician as well as a singer.  I have found that she has opened for artist, Ray Charles.  Not only has she performed for the Arkansas Legislature, but also the National Prayer Breakfast, and two presidential inaugural prayer services.  She has worked in the ministry and counseling with her husband for over 30 years in individual counseling and family life seminars. 

She also speaks at Women's Conference's nationally and internationally.  This is how I am familiar with Sis Sjostrand.  I first heard her at the AR UPC Ladies Camp Meeting at Redfield, Ar in 2000.  The theme was Hope for 2000.  For most of us ladies it is one of the highlights of the year.  Every April for just a few days we get to lay down all of our everyday jobs and come together to be uplifted and to uplift one another.  There are no words to describe what it is like being in a place filled with thousands of other ladies who know and love God in the same way as you do.  The praise that is lifted up throughout these services are power-packed and anointed.   We arrive with great expectations that are never let down.  Sisters in Christ like Sis Sjostrand may never hear every story from every lady that have encouraged to keep traveling this long and narrow path, but just maybe this will be something we could do while we are all setting around the marriage supper of the Lamb on that Glorious Day!!!  In the meantime ladies, Sis Sjostrand please know that you are a precious jewel in the Kingdom of God, thank you for your many years of service. 

This song has a special place in my heart as I can certainly related to the woman in this story.  Outcast to all except for the Master himself who knew her heart.  I remember the very first time I heard this song it was back in 2002. We had Ladies Conference in Hot Springs, AR that year.  It is a conference I will never forget.  Sis McGruder was one of the guest speakers, while she was either ministering or singing a lady in the audience died.  Seriously, she had no life in her.  We all began to pray and some of the ladies there were nurses.  As the power of God came into that place life came back into this woman.  It was during this conference that I first saw the drama to the Alabaster Box song.  A woman dressed in a robe and head dress made her way to the platform.  The power of God covered that whole banquet room and there was not one dry eye in the whole place. 

Lyrics:

The room grew still as she made her way to Jesus
She stumbles through the tears that made her blind
She felt such pain
Some spoke in anger
Heard folks whisper, "There's no place here for her kind"
Still on she came through the shame that flushed her face
Until at last she knelt before his feet
And though she spoke no words, everything she said was heard
As she poured her love for the master from her box of alabaster

And I've come to pour my praise on Him like oil
From Mary's alabaster box
Don't be angry if I was his feet with my tears and I dry them with my hair
You weren't there the night he found me
You did not feel what I felt when he wrapped his loving arms around me
And you don't know the cost of the oil in my alabaster box

I can't forget the way life used to be
I was a prisoner to the sins that had me bound
I spent all my day pouring life without measure
Into a little treasure box I thought I found
Until the day when Jesus came to me
And filled my soul with the wonder of his touch
So now I'm giving back to him all the praise he's worthy of
I've been forgiven and that's why I love him so much

Dr Janice Sjostrand singing 'Alabaster Box' at a conference in 2019.  
It was uploaded by Todd Brown on YouTube
Thanks to a viewer who informed this video now existed.

 
                                        



Ar District 2002 Mother's Memorial Print






In 2013 a singer named Lillie McCloud walked out on stage of the X-Factor show. She was asked by one of the judges what she was going to be singing, she surprisingly replied the Alabaster Box.  At this point not many people in the audience knew this gospel song made popular by CeCe Winans in 1999 on her album Alabaster Box.  However, just in a few moment after Lillie McClouds performance not only the audience would be in tears, but also two judges.  Then hours after her performance was posted to the internet millions of people became familiar with the words to this beautiful song.  A new generation who otherwise may never would have heard it.  Even Simon admits he had never heard this song before.

 
 Other Songs:

Heal Me


 Where Jesus Passes By
I'll Do Anything
I Just Came to See Jesus


Sources:

Apostolic Forum 222.apostolicfriendsforum.com













25 comments:

  1. I am truly blessed by this song as well. I heard this song for the very 1st time was when Lilie sang on the X-Factor TV program. I even was speechless and I was automatically crying during Lilie's perfromance. I started to search the story behind this song and ended with catching your blog. Thank God for Dr. Janice Lyn Sjostrand and for her continuously service in the fields of the Lord. Amazed by the process of this song was made. The unplanned song which just flowed out of the godly servant lady who dedicated her life for the Kingdom of God. Nothing is coincidental when we're in presence of the Lord. For God can use anything to praise and glorify His name. Praying for Dr. Janice Lyn Sjostrand and family to always stand firm towards His calling for the sake of God's kingdom. Thanks to you for sharing this information. Blessings upon you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. It makes me happy to know there are others who also wonder where these blessed songs come from and so thankful I was there to help you on your search. That is truly what this blog is all about. God Bless and thanks for stopping by. Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halo Sister, love from Indonesia. Thanks for sharing this valuable information. This song is one of two my most played song (another one is Touch Me Jesus by Jesse Dixon). This Alabaster Box song is a sweet reminder to surrender my very best in life to the Lord, which I frequently failed to remember, until I hear the song again. Once again thanks for sharing, and may God Bless you and Dr. Janice Lyn Sjostrand service. Love from Jakarta, Indonesia. DS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sitting on the edge of my bed, thanking GOD for leading me to your blogspot! I feel so wonderfully blessed to have stopped here! I had happened upon your blog a couple of years ago, but not being tech savvy, I lost it! Thanks be to GOD I found you again! I wanted to let you know that many years ago, when Jan Crouch (of TBN fame), was living I heard for the 1st time Sister Sjostrand singing that beautiful song! The anointing is present when this song is sung, as if JESUS were right next to me (& HE is {smile}! Thank you for delving into the deep to find this information!! Are the Sjostrand's still in Newark, Ohio? Love to you & GOD'S blessing! Lynette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are still in Newark, Ohio...you can find thier church services live on You Tube. Just search "Christian Apostolic Church"

      Delete
  5. I just recently started listenig to The Alabaster Box sung by Cee Cee Winan and I was so intrigued by the words I wanted to know the writer of the lyrics. I located your blog and was very amazed at what I found. I would not have guessed the history behind this song. Beautiful! I think a lot of people automatically assume that Cee Cee Winans composed the lyrics but adding her voice to this song brings it to life as well as Lillie McCloud. I listen to this song and words often and get a blessing each time I hear it. It also reminds of the many songs Dottie Rambo wrote that became famous from various artists, particularly Sandy Patti and Larnell Harris. God Bless your ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sis this song is absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this story; I'm just finding out in the last few days about sister sjstrand writing this. Awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this information on the origins of this beautiful song. I heard lillie mc cloud sing it on xfactor and was blown away by the performance and the beautiful lyrics. An amazing way to give praise.

      Delete
  8. I feel speechless about everything I read here. Praise you Jesus. Wow! And what a Blog! Thank you so much for sharing. I pray this will be a blessing and salvation for so many people🙏

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement. I am glad you are enjoying learning about this songs origins.
    God Bless
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a blessing this information has been to my heart. It was exactly what I was looking for when I googled the lyrics of this song. As I read your blog tears flowed from my eyes and my spirit was uplifted. I heard Lillie McCloud's rendition of this song on X Factor and it blew me away so much that I often play it again and again. Thank God that He can cleanse our hearts with just a song. God bless you for the work you do to further His kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 4 weeks ago a video of was posted of Sis Janice singing Alabaster Box.
    You can find it here.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqoDhqZLTSw

    ReplyDelete
  12. A gr8t voice and a precious song!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know that God gave this song to the world through a special vessel, Dr. Janice. That is just like The Father that He gave His only begotten Son, the best to us. Thank you for sharing this knowledge about the background of this song. I love songwriting about our Lord & The Kingdom and this just blesses me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alabaster box beautiful awesome song, blessed my soul everytime I hear it.i first heard this song at a Easter play at a church in eden nc. They sold CD,s after that song was on it.i Lost the CD the title was once for all I wish I could find it . GOD bless sis sis sjostrand . I listen to lillie mc cloud and cece winan and God bless you sylvia m clemons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great song, but I don’t think she wrote it in 1997, as Delia Roman was already recording it on her debut album in 1996. (Also on you tube)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your response. I have not found the exact year Dr. Janice Lyn Sjostrand wrote this song. Please note that it just states the year I found it copyright. I have still been researching for the exact year it was written.

      Delete