Saturday, July 4, 2015

If You Had Known Me (Before I Knew Him)


This song was written by Sis. Joan Clark Ewing in 1978.  She is a God gifted songwriter who many times took sermons preached by her husband Rev. Murrell Ewing and turned them into songs.  This song was in fact first recorded the same year on her husbands,  A Portrait of Love Album.  She penned the words to this song, but Rev Murrell Ewing made it his own with his baritone voice.

Joan Clark met Murrell Lavonne Ewing who was a much sought after minister and very gifted musician and singer.  He was born January 9, 1941 to the parents of Tom Ed and Marie Ewing.  At that time his family lived in Jonesville, Catahoula Parish, Louisiana in a community known as Boggy Bayou.  Tom Ed Ewing worked there with the State Highway Department until trusting in the Lord and accepting a full time Pastor's position at a church in Lake Charles, Louisiana known at that time as the English Bayou Pentecostal Church when Rev. Murrell Ewing was just nine years old.  As a talented musician he played in the Lake Charles Symphony while in high school.  He became a full time evangelist after graduating high school at the age of 17 in 1958.


Rev. Murrell Ewing married Joan Clark on November 24, 1959.  Within the next year this new couple accepted an assistant pastors position in Jackson, Mississippi to Rev. Earl Gamblin.  Where they remained until 1965 when they left Alexandria to return to the evangelistic field.  In 1966, Rev. Murrell Ewing's father had suffered a stroke so the two of them remained in Lake Charles, Louisiana to assist his father and the congregation of Eastwood Pentecostal Church.  He became the senior pastor at his father's passing in 1981 from heart failure. 

The church grew and flourished under the leadership of Rev. Murrell Ewing who completed a building project his dad started.  He was also highly involved in the work of the Louisiana District of the United Pentecostal Church where he held several positions throughout the years and was a member on their board.  Nationally he served on the music committee and participated in the development of the Sing Unto the Lord Hymnal.  Rev. Murrell and Joan Ewing served many years as consultants and participants in national programming for both home foreign missions.


The anointing this couple had in their life had to be God ordained.  With Joan by his side he recorded many singing projects and their talents together blessed people throughout the world. They were married for over 50 years and had two children.  Rev. Murrell L Ewing left this world on December 31, 2010.  Sis Ewing is still speaking at conferences in Louisiana.  One can only hope that she is still composing songs. 

I love many of their songs, but this song has touched my life the most.  Most often people are pre-judged before you actually have a chance to hear their life stories.  I did not really know what love felt like before I knew the Lord.  It seemed like one bad thing happened after another, and have found myself thrown away like in this first verse.  I didn't have anything to offer Him except all of me and I am so glad I did.  The person I am today is only by His mercy and grace and that is something I don't take for granted. Thank you both for letting God use your lives to touch so many. 

Lyrics

Just an old rejected relic on the auction block
They decided to throw me away
The auctioneer asked, "Who'll take her?"
The room was quiet and still,
And Jesus stepped forward, and He said, "I will". 

If you had known me before I knew Him,
You would understand why I love Him.
If you had known me before I knew Him,
You would understand my love.

I had not much to offer, just heartache and pain,
and a life that was filled with despair.
For my rags, He gave me riches,
For my fears, He traded peace.
For my whole life, He gave me a blessed release.



 
The Rex Nelon Singers, One Step Closer 8-Track
 
 
 What a Tribute to Sis Joan Ewing made personally by her husband in this video featuring Sis Ewing reciting, Now I Know
 
 
 
 
Other Songs Written by Sis Ewing:
 
What's that I Hear written , published 1978
 
 
Your Gonna Make It was written in 1985 and published March 12, 1986
 
 
 
Beyond the Sounds of Battle written 1985 and published March 12, 1986.
 
 
 
Where Did the Wind Go written 1993 and published June 10, 1993
 
 
and so many more!
 
 
Sources:
 
Find A Grave:
Fhttp://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=ewing&GSfn=murrell&GSmn=l&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=2010&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=63626059&df=all&ind A Grave
 
Pentecostal Herald January 2014, This is my Story
 
Copyright Encyclopedia
 
My Hope Radio.com
 
Song Search
 
All Music
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this blog I had this song in my heart when I woke up and I love that I was not only able to find it but found the story to. God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis Clemons....thank you, thank you,thank you for this wonderful write up about Bro &Sis Ewing. I love this song...and everything else she wrote and he sang. I'm going to try to figure out how to "save" this article. God bless you sister for this....
    Love in Christ,
    Sis Kathy Hawkins
    Vincennes Indiana

    ReplyDelete